Skip to main content

Alik98 Conquers SecondLife

Hello readers,
I created this blog to document my experiences using SecondLife and to share my thoughts and ideas on topics given in class. Before our first Virtual Environments class I decided to explore SecondLife myself to understand the controls and create my avatar as I wanted to be prepared for my first class.

First class completed! The task at hand was to discover a total of three places of our choice to be more familiar with SecondLife. Exploring different destinations and meeting new faces adds to the experience of this virtual reality.

Flamingo Bay, Stella:
Irish weather can be quite miserable and damp sometimes so today I chose to visit a sunny destination for a change. From green palm trees to an array of colorful beach houses this place seemed like a dream! I went inside the flamingo diner and had a snoop around, sadly the destination was deserted but I quite enjoyed exploring Flamingo Bay on my own.

Figure 1: Alik98 outside Flamingo Diner. 

Figure 2: Flamingo Bay Harbor. 

Muddy's Music Cafe:
Described as the place to find friends and fun this place was filled with lots of people! According to the locals the owner of the cafe had decided to name the cafe after a dog who rests outside the cafe day and night. Muddy seems to be a favorite amongst the locals who visit the cafe! Muddy's cafe is located in a park surrounded by red brick and street lights. I would definitely come back here to visit as my experience was overly pleasant. 

Figure 3: Muddy's Music Cafe.

Kowloon:
Kowloon is a home away from home for me! I am of Asian descent and was lucky enough to visit this city twice. The virtual city of Kowloon is similar to the real life city. I realised just how much i missed Hong Kong and the cultural diversity that this country serves. The streets were quiet and each street was filled with luminescent signs. I enjoyed exploring this city and definitely would return in my spare time! 
Figure 4: Alik98 returns to the city of Kowloon.

.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Team Progression Take Three

For our final project meeting we communicated through Facebook messenger and used Google Drive to share our final slideshows with each other. Each team member had put in equal amounts of effort and it was evident we had put in the hard work. I spent a few hours trying to create my slideshow that my laptop supported and I saw this as a challenge for me personally as my laptop wasn't cooperating with me. I over came this challenge after a few hours and had practiced my piece that I had written on Microsoft Word beforehand. I created a slideshow using various images to help aid what I talked about in my piece for the group. I found my pictures on various newspaper articles online and decided to put them into the presentation as visuals can aid the information given during presentations - a tip I learnt from the last presentation. After gathering my images for the slideshow I edited and took out any pieces of irrelevant information in my word document regarding sustainable fashion...

Online Communities and Relationships

Image 1: Cyber bullying. As mentioned in a previous blog post, there is a very distinct difference in how we act in an online community to IRL. The internet is a scary place; it offers an unparalleled promise of cooperation and communication between everyone. Sadly, instead of embracing something that has become a massive extension of ourselves, we seem to be reverting to tribalism and conflict. The biggest ongoing issue is Cyber Bullying.  Normally we conduct our real-life interactions with strangers politely and respectfully, online we can be horrible. Hiding behind a computer screen or a mobile phone can give people a sense of security and will allow them to think it’s okay to send someone a nasty message like a death threat or racist slur. The real problem here is that people feel safe behind a screen as they most likely won’t have to deal with the consequences of their actions as you would IRL. The question is can we relearn the code of ethics and act in a way that ...

Team Progression

This week my team and I have made a lot more progress since our last meeting! We have discussed topics that we could research further. Such topics surrounding how millennial's improve the world we live in today include thrifting, carpooling, climate change and house sharing. Each group member decided to take a topic from each ideology to talk about in further detail. I decided to talk about fast fashion and sustainable fashion. After reading several articles online relating to my topic I felt confident enough to write out what I would be talking about on Microsoft Word for the presentation. Making small changes to your shopping can really have a positive effect on the environment and help to reduce waste water pollution as the percentage is currently the second highest contributor to waste water pollution due to fast fashion brands releasing toxins, harmful dyes and synthetics into water supplies. Lead and pesticides are also released into the air which are harmful to humans. ...